Monday 7 May 2012

Salmond in trouble over gay marriage


In yesterday's Scottish edition of the Sunday Times, the headline was 'Salmond in trouble over gay marriage', reporting that both David Cameron and Alex Salmond were 'under intense pressure' to put their plans to legalize same sex marriage 'on hold'.

Quite a lot of the article appears to be recycled from English editions with the well known mutterings of English conservatives about the need to return to a true Conservatism being repeated. The material on Scotland is rather thinner: apparently:

...some SNP ministers have warned privately that legislating in Scotland threatens their chances of winning the independence referendum.

And

'It's not that there has been a sudden outbreak of moral conservatism. [Heaven forfend!] The ministers who have doubts about same-sex marriage are just being pragmatic,' said a source close to one SNP minister.


Well, good. But I'll believe it when I see it. Anyway, whilst regular readers will realize that (like most Catholic bloggers) I spend most of my time with my head wrapped in silver foil to prevent surveillance from telepaths employed by the World Government, with only a small (cross shaped) hole cut therein to allow communications from my Guardian Angel, and will therefore pay little heed to my actions, I'll say to those anonymous SNP ministers that I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the three parties on Thursday simply because of their stand on same sex marriage. (I exclude the Lib Dems and the Greens from any possibility of my support since they seem to have turned themselves into anti-Catholic, lifestyle issue parties at least in Scotland.) So, a spoiled ballot paper with an elegant explanation of my refusal to vote crafted in large green crayoned capitals.

Not sure if it was the right decision, but in the absence of any serious alternative in my ward to the comfy consensus on destroying the family, I didn't feel I had much alternative. (Had a mature political alternative such as the penguin candidate, Professor Pongoo, been available, I may have reconsidered. On the other hand, penguins are well know to be unreliable in this area.)

Anyway, make of it what you will. But apparently there are 11% of us Scottish nutters out there for whom support for same sex marriage will make us less likely to vote for independence as opposed to only 2% of the sensible and decent people for whom support for same sex marriage will encourage support for independence. I suggest ministers do the math and find a way out of this hole they've dug for themselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment