Thursday, 29 June 2017

Mass readings in Scots: Feast of SS Peter and Paul, Apostles (Year A)



Gospel reading
Matthew 16: 13-19

Whan Jesus cam’ intil the coasts o' Cesarea Philippi, he spier’t at his disciples, sayin’, "Wha do men say that I the Son o’ man am?" An’ they said, "Some say that thou art John the Baptist, some Elias, an’ ithers Jeremias, or ane o' the prophets." He saith until them, "But wha say ye that I am?" An’ Simon Peter answer’t an’ said, "Thou art the Christ, the Son o’ the livin’ God." An’ Jesus answer’t an’ said until him, "Blesset art thou, Simon-Barjona: for flesh an’ bluid haena shawed this until thee, but my Father wha is in heaven. An’ I say alsua until thee, That thou art Peter; an’ upon this rock I will big my kirk; an’ the yetts o’ hell sallna prevail agayne it. An’ I will gie until thee the keys o’ the kingdom o’ heaven; an’ whatsaever thou sallt bin’ on yirth sall be bund in heaven, an’ whatsaever thou sallt lowse on yirth sall be lowset in heaven."

(From The Gospel of St. Matthew, Translated Into Lowland Scotch, by George Henderson (1862) here)

2 comments:

  1. JUNE 30, 2017

    Tridentine Rite Mass in Rome is a sacrilege : needs to be challenged canonically
    https://gloria.tv/article/1V1tXzqiZ1AoBevaC3q81yvU4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although this has (charitably) only a tenuous relationship with the above post -and I suspect I wouldn't agree with the contents of the linked material if I fully understood it- I'm leaving it up on my general principle of laisser aller for comments. Pax!

      Lazarus

      Delete